Sample The Healing Guide by Jules Alvarado
Sammy got kicked out of his third daycare.
Katrina is drinking, drugging and sexting.
Jorge broke another gift given to him.
Sarah continues to self-harm.
Jacob will not sleep in a bed and cuts up his clothing.
These children may engage in a barrage of negative behaviors including aggression, violence, threats, property destruction, and extreme disorganized behaviors.
The targets of this experience often find themselves moving away from the child, fighting back or feeling lost and incompetent.
Emotional Regulatory Healing, ERH, is a Mindful and Trauma-Informed paradigm directed at the most wounded of our children and those who serve them.
From Chaos to Calm: A Healing Guide was written and is intended to be useful to clinicians, child care workers, educators, foster and adoptive parents, and agency or training directors who accept responsibility for ‘our’ wounded survivors.
ERH is being used in residential treatment settings, day treatment, inpatient hospitals, child welfare and schools around the US and Canada.
More than 10,000 parents and professionals have been trained in ERH over the past decade.
ERH provides the structure for remaining engaged with those clients who have found ways to fail and be failed by every treatment modality used. Research indicates that paradigms that offer both a theoretical foundation AND concrete interventions will be most effective. ERH does just that.
Children learn how to leave setting after setting. It is up to us to teach them how to stay.
In this healing and training guide, we will explore neurodevelopment, attachment, emotional regulation and the mind/body/spirit connection.
ERH utilizes both implicit and explicit, brain-based interventions required for optimal emotional regulation which leads to a decrease in negative behavioral presentation.
ERH offers successful ways of securing and sustaining safe, supportive engagement with adults and new skills for learning to regulate the emotions that have historically disrupted these relationships with wounded children.
This guide, created from 30 years of personal and professional experience, written by foster, and adoptive parent, Jules Alvarado who is also an internationally known therapist and consultant in Trauma Informed Care, is now available in download format.
I Invite You To Sample The Healing Guide
You can read the first twelve pages now. Or, download the book to your device to read later.
Emotional Regulatory Healing: ERH
a brain based paradigm grounded in practical neuroscience.
Through ERH we learn ~
1) to reduce primitive brain functions that have become hyper-aroused and to increase activity in the higher regions of the brain that provide more optimal functioning.
2) to discriminate between what is therapeutic and what is not.
3) to employ only interventions consistent with a neurodevelopmental understanding of neuroplasticity.
4) to rely on the alliance between client and therapist at all times. ERH is relationship based.
5) to activate moderate states of arousal; change cannot happen if the ‘state’ does not change. States become traits.
6) to teach clients about their brains in order to boost their confidence in the therapy experience.
7) to teach clients that the stress thermostat in their brain may need to be reset. We can do that together by deciding that troubling feelings might represent excitement for a new challenge instead of fear about danger. This will require safety with the therapist, and repetition.
8) that sensations in our own bodies should not be the solo cause for alarm. As we work to reset the stress thermostat we require both brain and body awareness in order to determine true danger.
9) that although flashbacks can seem to appear out of nowhere, they may be triggered by the same body sensations that were felt during or right after the trauma event(s). Our work will help the client tolerate those body sensations as they learn to engage higher level processing of the brain, regaining Emotional Regulation.
10) to integrate mindful, trauma sensitive and simple, brain based techniques for therapist/client alike.
This Healing Guide comes complete with the power point slides from Juli’s full day training, along with 25 years of research and practice content. Built into the guide are exercises designed to enhance our learning through experiential process.
A critical tool for parents and professionals.
Purchase Your Copy Today $49.00
This book is available in a digital version only. Order now and download immediately as a PDF file.